Saturday 8 September 2012

Salar de Uyuni (the Salt flat of Uyuni)

Tuesday I had to face my fear of getting back in a bus (due to the last ride resulting in me being extremely carsick) and take a 2.5 hour taxi ride to the town of Tarija. And with all the bends carsick I got! But not as bad as the last time :) Tarija was a beautiful town, after two weeks of living in tiny rural villages it felt like a metropolis!! Overnight there and then on the next bus to Tupiza, another long bus ride to arrive at about 4am, freezing cold and very tired, not a great time to be finding hostels for all of us! Overnight there and then on the train (great to mix up with a different means of transport, but this stage we were all getting very tired of buses).

Tupiza


Some of our group waiting around at the bus station
Another late night arrival (1:30am) and again the fun of finding a hostel for 20 people at that time of the morning. The good news is we found a hostel, the bad news is it tried our grace at 2am in the morning - it had a bit of a dodgy feeling about it, our room didn't lock, there was more window than wall which means everyone walking past could see us, weird that people can watch you sleep. Not to mention showering not being included, we'd have to pay separately for that luxury! Needless to say next morning come check out time we all headed straight out to find some more pleasant accommodation. All this travelling around was our "rest" time - no ministry, just some sightseeing time of going to the Mirror of the World, the largest saltpans in the world, near the small town of Uyuni.

Some interesting facts... Salar de Uyuni (Salt Flat of Uyuni) is the world's largest salt flat and is found in the south west of Bolivia. At 4,085 square miles it is the world's largest salt mirror when covered in water. To add in some more random fun, there is also an antique train cemetery in the area which of course we had to check out, if nothing else than to get some fun photos!


Some of our team on top of a train

Because the Salar de Uyuni is so flat, NASA is able to use it to calibrate some of their satellites. For the bird lovers out there, while the Salt Flats do not have any wildlife, it is used as the breeding grounds for some species of pink South American flamingoes once a year in November. 

The salt pans were such a fun family day out. So many team photos were taken, between us and all the other tourists it was like being on a photo shoot! Highlights were having fun with trick photography taking advantage of the large flat white salt pans. 


Fun with trick photography

An extra gift from the Lord was meeting up with my friend Tarryn from London. I knew she was in Bolivia on a missions trip at the same time as me but she was in a rural town far from me and given our impossible to plan ahead lifestyle I knew there was absolutely no point in trying to meet up with her. That Saturday morning before we headed out for the Salt Flats I felt I should go have breakfast where I'd gone the day before, so off I went even though I wasn't really hungry and I had no one to go with as no was up yet. I'd been there not 10min when I heard "Elizabeth" being called from the doorway, and there was Tarryn!! What a blessing to see a friend so far from home, definitely a God appointed meeting of two friends all the way from South Africa in a small mountain town in Bolivia. So breakfast was enjoyed with my friend :)


Jumping for joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment